How To Stop Biting & Grow You Nails // Tips & Tricks

January 04, 2018

Happy New Year!! I hope 2018 is a great year for you :)

It's the time of year for resolutions, if one of yours is to stop biting you nails... then I hope the tips and tricks in this post can help you achieve that new year's resolution. 

I stopped biting my nails 7 years ago and these are some things that helped and still help me now, to keep my nails at a nice length and in healthy condition.

These are my nails 6 days after I stopped biting them in 2010...

1. Keep your nails painted.
Having nail polish on your nails all the time is definitely something that helped me when I first started growing my nails. Not only does it add a protective later onto your nails, but I found that I was less likely to bite them if they were nicely painted. If you are interested in nail art, it helps to not bite them if the design on your nails is something that you put a lot of time and effort into (you hopefully won't want to ruin them).

2. Don't soak them.
If you are doing the washing up or having a bath, try not to let you nails soak in warm water for prolonged periods of time. Soaking your nails will make them soft and more likely to break. Wear rubber gloves if you're washing dishes, or cleaning with chemicals too.

3. Anti-bite polish.
Although I didn't use one of the polishes that has a bitter taste to stop biting my nails. My mum did use it on me when I was younger and it did taste really bad. If you keep it topped up it might be a trick to help you. 

4. Take care of your hands. 
Cuticle oil and hand cream are your new best friends. Keeping your nails moisturised will help your nails grow and be lovely and healthy. Also I doubt you'd want to bite your nails while they're cover in oils/creams. Try to apply cuticle oil at least 2 times a day.

5. Keep your hands busy.
If you're like me, then the second your hands aren't doing anything they automatically move towards your mouth. I find it helpful to keep my hands busy, fidget cubes/spinners can be a good distraction from biting your nails, but for me, just having anything in my hands to fiddle with works. This is essential for me while doing things like watching films, I can not count the amount of times that 2 hours of bored hands while watching a film has ended in very sad, bitten nails.

I hope you find my tips helpful, if you have any other tips or trick then let me know in the comments or on twitter. 
If you are in the process of fighting the biting habit, then keep going, you can do it!!

You Might Also Like

0 comments